Saturday 27 June 2015

Corsetry 101

Oh my! You're back! Next up is my corset! I have to say that I'm incredibly proud of this piece as it is quite technical and it's perfect! I just have to finish the raws edges (hide them with bias tape) and it'll be done! So happy!


I don't think I have any WIP pictures of it. Mostly because I was so excited about getting through and finishing it! 

It was made with Laughing Moon's Silverado Pattern (I believe) and this too was a fantastic pattern to use! Well written instructions and lots of tips and trips with regards to fitting.


I used the regular amount of boning suggested in the patterns so it's not too lightly boned and also not too heavy. I used high quality plastic boning from farthingales. The lining is coutil twill and the fashion fabric is a heavy duty fabric of some kind. (It was on clearance for a good amount so I wasn't asking too many questions!) 


The scariest part of the whole business was sewing in the metal busk. I will admit I was leaning back from the machine quite a bit but I took it slow and go it in there nice and tight! The toughest part was those grommets! I ended up sitting in my garage with a blanket hammering on the concrete! But I got them in there! 


The back is laced with actual corset lace so that I could do it up tight and it will actually hold. It takes  off about 2-3 inches at my waist and completely hides my belly.  I need my husband to do it up though. Haven't quite figured out how to do it myself. 


Here it is on my husband's dress form. I don't have one yet. It obviously doesn't fit the form properly but it was enough for me to get a picture! 


This is just a closeup.


Here it it is actually on me! I love how it feels. I do it up tight and I can still move and breathe. Bending forwards is a little tricky but it can be done. The shift underneath is also from Laughing Moon and is also unfinished. One of these days I will finished a chemise. I swear!


Side profile all nice and flat. I love the curve in the back. I don't honestly know if it's supposed to be there but I love how I look and feel. So sexy!


I slowed down a bit after my corset and got away from sewing. (Life didn't help the situation at all) but I have two more things to show you! Next I think will be my first bustle!

No comments:

Post a Comment